At University of California Health (UCH),
We closely monitor the outcomes across a variety of surgical procedures. We voluntarily submit our outcomes data to the Society of Thoracic Surgeons, a national adult cardiac surgery database. We do this so we can compare ourselves with one another and with hospitals across the nation.
We work together to identify improvement opportunities. And we share ideas and best practices for implementing and standardizing evidence-based procedures.
How Academic Medicine Improves Care
This level of collaboration and innovation leads to better diagnosis and better treatment — for all patients across our hospitals.
Our Cardiothoracic Surgery Expertise
Across our five hospitals, we perform all routine and complex cardiothoracic operations, including heart and lung transplants. We always keep in mind that heart surgery is never “routine” for you or your family — no matter how we define it.
We work in teams so that we’re providing you holistic expertise. We address all the issues you have that co-exist and complicate your surgery or your recovery, such as kidney disease, diabetes or other conditions.
We know that some form of heart disease occur more frequently in selected populations and that access to state-of-the-art heart treatment is not equally available to everyone. Working together,
We provide care to all our patients and their families with compassion, inclusion and sensitivity.
- Aortic valve replacement and repair, performed as minimally invasive surgery (keyhole surgery)
- Chronic pulmonary embolism treatment, pulmonary thromboendarterectomy (PTE)
- Coronary artery bypass graft surgery (CABG), with a minimally invasive surgical option
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO)
- Heart or lung surgery with other chronic conditions (e.g., kidney dialysis, etc.)
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy treatment
- Lung, chest wall and esophagus procedures, including from cancers in these areas
- Resection of cancers in the Heart
- Mitral valve replacement and repair, performed as minimally invasive surgery
- Robotic cardiac procedures for mitral valve repair and coronary artery bypass
- Thoracic aortic surgery for aneurysms and aortic dissection
- Transcatheter valve procedures, including transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) and transcatheter mitral valve repair with MitraClip
- Transplant, including heart transplant, lung transplant and heart-lung transplant
- Mechanical circulatory support including ventricular assist devices
Combining Data and Expertise to Improve Patient
One of the key quality outcomes measures we evaluate are readmissions to the hospital following a coronary artery bypass graft procedure, also known as CABG or bypass surgery.
We also study many other measures of quality:
Our surgeons perform a high number of cardiothoracic procedures each
Find a Cardiovascular Clinical Trial
Across the UCH system we have clinical trials in different areas of cardiovascular disease. We have access to new and advanced technology before it is available to the general public, thus expanding your health care options. Use the link below to find open heart disease trials.
Refer a Patient
Our cardiac surgeons are here to provide expert consultation and surgery across California.