UC-MODERN is a working group of molecular oncology experts from across the University of California. It is chartered to provide strategic direction, data expertise and coordination of the research and educational use of molecular oncology data across all of UC’s NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers.
The primary activity of UC-MODERN is collecting, annotating, analyzing and harmonizing molecular oncology data from all of UC’s academic medical centers. UC-MODERN helps teams use these data for local and systemwide initiatives. For academic health centers, the UC Cancer Consortium, UC Biomedical Research Acceleration, Innovation and Development (UC BRAID) and the Center for Data-driven Insights and Innovation (CDI2), UC-MODERN provides support including:
- Demonstration projects using molecular oncology data
- Training in the use of molecular oncology data
- Centralized expertise on molecular data from across the UC system
- Updates and guidance on data collection, quality and more
- Strategic advice on initiatives and opportunities in molecular oncology, computational oncology and cloud-based data science
We envision active use of a single molecular oncology database by all UC academic health centers and systemwide partners that have an interest in assessing novel and existing treatments, data mining for translational medicine studies, as well as evaluating disease presentation to advance precision medicine.
UC-MODERN is jointly led by representatives from all UC academic health centers.