New members from seven UC campuses.
Twenty-five University of California faculty and researchers are among the American Academy of Arts and Sciences’ class of 2014, announced today (April 23). In addition, UC Regent Sherry Lansing is among the 204 new members.
One of the nation’s most prestigious honorary societies, the academy is also a leading center for independent policy research. Members contribute to academy publications and studies of science and technology policy, energy and global security, social policy and American institutions, and the humanities, arts and education.
UC members, by campus, include:
- George Breslauer, executive vice chancellor and provost and professor of political science (retired)
- Nicholas Dirks, chancellor
- Edward Frenkel, professor of mathematics
- Inez Fung, professor of atmospheric science
- Robert Reich, Chancellor’s Professor of Public Policy
- Daniel Tătaru, professor of mathematics
- Alex Zettl, professor of physics
- Margaret Ferguson, distinguished professor of English
- Robert Huckfeldt, distinguished professor of political science
- John Wingfield, distinguished professor and endowed chair in physiology
- Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o, distinguished professor of English and comparative literature
- Chris Burden, professor emeritus of art
- Johanna Ruth Drucker, Bernard and Martin Breslauer Professor of Bibliographical Studies
- Louis M. Gomez, John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation Professor of Digital Media and Learning
- Patricia Marks Greenfield, distinguished professor of psychology
- Sabeeha Merchant, distinguished professor of chemistry and biochemistry
- Marcelo M. Suárez-Orozco, dean of the Graduate School of Education and Information Studies and distinguished professor of education
- A. Eugene Washington, vice chancellor for health sciences; dean of the David Geffen School of Medicine; CEO of the UCLA Health System; and distinguished professor of gynecology and health policy
- Paul Storch Weiss, director, California NanoSystems Institute; Fred Kavli Professor of Nanosystems Sciences; and distinguished professor of chemistry and biochemistry, and of materials science and engineering
- Christopher Glass, professor of medicine and of cellular and molecular medicine
- Clifford Kubiak, distinguished professor of chemistry and biochemistry
- Warner Craig Greene, professor, medicine, microbiology and immunology; Nick and Sue Hellman Distinguished Professor of Translational Medicine; director and senior investigator, Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology; and co-director, UCSF-GIVI Center for AIDS Research
- Jaime Sepulveda, executive director, UCSF Global Health Sciences and professor of epidemiology
- Catherine Albanese, J.F. Rowny Professor Emerita in Comparative Religions
- Anthony Zee, professor of physics
This year’s class brings UC’s membership in the academy to 489.