University of California Health delivers excellence.
Our five academic health centers form a $7.5 billion enterprise providing broad access to specialized care that earns the highest national rankings. Our health sciences education system, the country’s largest with more than 14,000 students and 17 health professional schools, is educating tomorrow’s leaders. Our world-class research is tackling health’s toughest challenges. Overall, UC Health generates about 117,000 jobs in the state, $12.5 billion in annual contribution to gross state product and $16.7 billion in economic activity, according to a 2011 independent economic impact report.
Behind those numbers are our people, from physicians and nurses to clinicians and researchers, who work hard to save lives and improve health across California and around the world.
Community benefits: The estimated community benefit of UC Health‘s five health systems totaled $3.3 billion last year. Find out more in these community benefit reports: UC Davis, UC San Diego (PDF) and UC San Francisco (PDF).
Fact sheets and publications:
- UC Health at a glance (PDF)
- UC medical centers annual financial report (PDF)
- UC Health innovations brochure (PDF)
- UC Health community impact brochure (PDF)
- Academic Medical Centers 101 (PDF)
- Improving health care delivery (PDF)
- Graduate medical education (PDF)
- Telehealth (PDF)
- UC Nursing Programs (PDF)
By the numbers:
- 4 million outpatient visits in the past year
- 297,000 emergency room visits
- 147,000 inpatient admissions
- 40,000 medical center employees
- 12,000 nurses
- 11,000 babies delivered in the past year
- 5,000 faculty physicians
- 4,400 medical residents, nearly half of the state’s total
- 3,100 medical students, nearly half of the state’s total
- 1,500 nursing students
- 1,050 pharmacy students
- 60% of hospital days are by Medicare, Medi-Cal or uninsured patients
- 50% of all transplant surgeries in California
- 25% of extensive burn care in California
- 17 health professional schools (dentistry, medicine, nursing, optometry, pharmacy, public health, veterinary medicine)
- 13 Nobel laureates in medicine
- 10 hospitals with 3,121 licensed beds
- 5 academic health centers (Davis, Irvine, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco)
- 4th largest health care delivery system in California
View: 30-second video about UC Health
Sign up: If you would like to receive monthly email updates about UC Health, please send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “Subscribe to UC Health.”
Give feedback: Please email questions or suggestions to Alec Rosenberg, UC Office of the President coordinator for health communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org.