New members from five UC campuses.
Fourteen University of California members have been elected to the National Academies’ Institute of Medicine.
They join a class of 65 new members and five foreign associates announced today (Oct. 17). Since 1970, the IOM has elected more than 200 members affiliated with UC.
Membership in the Institute of Medicine is considered one of the highest honors in the fields of health and medicine. Chosen by current active members, candidates undergo a highly selective process and are nominated based on their professional achievements and commitment to service.
The Institute of Medicine includes a diversity of talent, as its charter requires that at least one quarter of the membership selected be from outside the health professions, in fields such as the social sciences, law, engineering and the humanities.
The newly elected UC members are:
- Barbara Abrams, Dr.P.H., R.D., professor of epidemiology, maternal and child health, and public health nutrition, School of Public Health
- Carolyn R. Bertozzi, Ph.D., T.Z. and Irmgard Chu Distinguished Professor of Chemistry and professor of molecular and cellular biology; investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Patricia A. Conrad, Ph.D., D.V.M., professor, department of pathology, microbiology, and immunology, School of Veterinary Medicine
- Claire Pomeroy, M.D., M.B.A., CEO, UC Davis Health System, and vice chancellor for human health sciences and dean, UC Davis School of Medicine
- Daniel H. Geschwind, M.D., Ph.D., Gordon and Virginia MacDonald Distinguished Professor, departments of neurology, psychiatry, and human genetics, and director, program in neurogenetics and Center for Autism Research and Treatment, Semel Institute, David Geffen School of Medicine
- Richard J. Jackson, M.D., M.P.H., professor and chair, department of environmental health sciences, School of Public Health
- Barbara Vickrey, M.D., M.P.H., professor and vice chair, department of neurology, David Geffen School of Medicine
- Cun-Yu Wang, D.D.S., Ph.D., No-Hee Park Endowed Professor and Chair, division of oral biology and medicine, School of Dentistry
- Michael Karin, Ph.D., Distinguished Professor of Pharmacology and Pathology, School of Medicine
- Claire D. Brindis, Dr.P.H., M.P.H., professor, departments of pediatrics and obstetrics, gynecology, and reproductive health sciences, and director, Philip R. Lee Institute for Health Policy Studies
- Diana L. Farmer, M.D., professor of surgery, pediatrics, and obstetrics, gynecology, and reproductive sciences; vice chair of surgery, School of Medicine; and chief of pediatric surgery, UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital
- Yuet Wai Kan, M.B., D.Sc., Louis K. Diamond Professor of Hematology, departments of medicine and laboratory medicine
- David Vlahov, R.N., Ph.D., dean and Endowed Professor in Nursing Education, School of Nursing
- Mark E. von Zastrow, M.D., Ph.D., professor and Friends of LPPI Endowed Chair for Research in Schizophrenia and Depression, department of psychiatry